Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Well, I got the job!

I've given my notice--my last day of work will be December 23. I'll have the rest of the month off and start my new job on January 3.

I don't think it's really sunk in yet that I'm leaving. I still have three weeks, although I have TONS I need to do before I leave, lots of housekeeping stuff. I need to write up "how-tos" for everything, because I'm not sure we're going to have anyone hired before I get out of there. This could be a big problem for my boss, but honestly, he knows what he needs to do, so I have to let go and let him deal with it.

I haven't told many people so far, but our holiday party is tomorrow night, so I will probably start telling people there. I probably won't see many of those folks again after tomorrow night, so it's a good time to start spreading the news. Everyone has been really very sweet about it, even my boss. He hates that I'm leaving, but he admits that if I feel it's a better thing for me, then I need to do it. I cried twice when I told him I was quitting. He hired me when I was hanging on by my last thread. I had been unemployed going on six months, and I had $15 dollars in the bank and no way to pay my bills or my rent. To say I was close to suicidal would not be an exaggeration. He helped me get through the six weeks it took for me to get a paycheck (LOVE working for the state and getting paid only once a month!), and I will be forever grateful to him for hiring me. I have learned so much for him about politics and campaigns, fundraising and event planning, and it's been wonderful working with a fellow Democrat. But it's time for me to go.

Actually, I've cried several times since then. I hate leaving so many wonderful people that I've gotten to know and work with over the last 3-1/2 years. I've made many good friends through this job. But I need to move on for my sanity, and they understand that.

I will be working for most of the senior staff at the new company, including my old boss and his old boss from the job I held previous to my current position. I'm very happy about that--my old boss was absolutely the BEST. I'm not sure I've ever had a better person to work for. And, to top that off, I'm replacing a very good friend of mine, also from my last job, who is moving to a new position in the company, and one of the VPs is another former co-worker. They're all very excited about having me come to work with them, and I think it's a really good move for me. My new company is growing by leaps and bounds, and it will be a good place for me to settle in and stay a while.

Plus, I have a big, fat check coming because of all my accumulated leave! I can't wait to go shopping--I need some new clothes REALLY badly.

So, I'll get to say all my goodbyes at this job, attend all the holiday festivities, and have 10 days off to recuperate before I start the new job. I think it's a great way to start the new year!

1 Comments:

At December 05, 2005 12:50 PM, Blogger Missy said...

I'm not going to say goodbye because we'll be keeping in touch. And I. Will. Not. Cry..... I'm not gonna do it. Any liquid seen on my face on your last day will purely be a result of my current hormonal state. I will not be sad you are leaving. I am profoundly happy that you are leaving for a much better place to work. So I. Will. Not. Cry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home