Saturday, August 27, 2005

Shhh! It's a nice, quiet Saturday . . . .

It's become very cloudy in the last hour or so, and I guess we're going to get some rain. We've had so much rain lately that we could probably do without it, but as long as it keeps the temps down, I don't care. I've got the windows open, and it's very, very quiet--just what I need after the week I've had.

What is it that causes you to have days where it doesn't matter what you say or what your intentions were, they get interpreted totally the wrong way? That's pretty much been my experience this week. I won't go into it any more than that, but it was a totally exasperating and humiliating experience. Sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut.

I never did report on my booty from last week's shopping spree. I was able to scrounge up a little bit of money, so I didn't just have to sit and watch Missy buy stuff. We went to three stores, SWAK in Guthrie and Gourmet Yarn Co. and Carol's Knitting Studio in OKC. SWAK was having a sale, so of course we had to go there first. I bought the last two balls they had of Debbie Bliss Merino Aran in dark blue--I thought I could make some fingerless gloves with it. I also found Ann Norling's "Big Cardigan" pattern, which gives you several different options and gauges for a sweater. I have some Lion Brand Woolease Thick & Quick in Cranberry that I've been saving for a cardigan, and I think this is the pattern I'm going to use. I'm not big on sweaters anymore, but I can always use a cardigan.

My best purchase at SWAK was a great little bag from Nancy's KnitKnacks. It's a denim bag with plaid fabric pockets inside. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that the bag is made so that you can wear it around your waist while you knit! It's quite cute. It also has a laminated tag hanging on the outside that has instructions for kitchener stitch on it. It's the perfect size for something small, like a pair of socks. How could I resist that?

After a quick lunch, we drove back to the city to Gourmet Yarn Co. I'm happy to see how well this store is doing; they seem to have developed quite a clientele. I bought two skeins of a yarn I hadn't seen before, TwoTwo by Classic Elite yarns, 3 sts/inch, in a dark red. I thought it would match or come close to the scarf I made last winter from Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran--it's a little darker, but it still works, for more fingerless gloves--can you tell I like fingerless gloves? However, it matches that Woolease Thick & Quick perfectly, so I was fated to buy it, I guess.

At this point, we were running short on time, so we dashed down to Carol's Knitting Studio on south side. I have to tell you, this is the second time we've been there, and I'm really very impressed by the yarns she has in stock. Carol is carrying Lorna's Laces, Cherry Tree Hill, Blue Sky Alpaca, Brown Sheep, Mountain Colors, and even Opal sock yarns in the self-patterning, handpainted, and solid colors. If you want some really wonderful stuff, this is the place to go.

I have to say I have found my very favorite thing in the world there--American Buffalo yarn. This stuff is amazing. Yes, it's buffalo fiber, processed in Oklahoma, and it's a beautiful light chocolate color (black and white colors are coming shortly). Skeins come in two types, 2-ply lace weight and 3-ply sport weight. What makes this really amazing is that after your finish your project, you put it in the washing machine for a few minutes in warm water, towel dry it and then pop it into the dryer for a couple of minutes, and the fabric becomes very similar to cashmere. I'll say it again--it's truly amazing. Carol had a sample there to fondle, and it was absolutely exquisite. This yarn is not cheap, but I cannot resist going back and buying some for some gloves or somesuch thing. I'm sure I left drool marks all over that store--between the buffalo and all the other wonderful yarns she had, I could have spent a fortune, that's for sure.

Carol's is located at 9300 South Pennsylvania, and it's definitely worth the trip. Be forewarned, though--bring cash or your checkbook, because she doesn't take credit cards.

There just weren't enough hours in the day to get to Norman to Luff's, so we decided to leave that trip for another day. When I got home I found that that was a bad move--Luff's was having a sale!!! That meant we missed the only place in town that sells Koigu--and it was on sale! Oh well, by that point I was out of money, so I couldn't have bought much anyway, but dang, it's hard to pass up a deal like that.

So I hope you have a quiet, peaceful Saturday to rest and recouperate from the week. Maggie and I are going to do our best to enjoy every minute of it.

PS--if you're looking for something in the realm of an alternative religion, maybe the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is for you. Apparently Pastafarianism is really catching on . . . .

PSS--A little birdie told me a great big fat secret yesterday--but mum's the word for now!!

1 Comments:

At August 29, 2005 10:38 AM, Blogger Missy said...

WWFSMD? He would have surely stopped time for us so we could have made the sale at Luff's, if only we had asked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home