Saturday, March 11, 2006

It is spring yet?

My pansies are confused as to whether they're cold or warm-weather plants:


With temps being in the 70s and 80s this week (except for one day when it never got above 60), this weather has me itching to dig into some dirt. Unfortunately, it's just too early to really do anything serious without risking the chance of a late frost. So I've spent the morning perusing the online gardening catalogs, trying to get an idea of what I want to plant this year.

I have some seeds that I need to start--tomates, eggplant, herbs, some lettuce that I could probably just go ahead and plant outside since it's been so warm. I need to get those started in their little peat pots today--yes, it's late, but oh well. Better late than never.

I need to get some better/larger containers for my vegetables. Last year's crop would have probably been much better if they had had more space to grow. I'm thinking of getting plastic five-gallon buckets for my tomatoes and eggplants. I would like a different container for my herbs, and I definitely want to try strawberries again. I need to start looking for new containers now while the selection is still good. As for flowers, petunias and geraniums as always, and something that vines so I can have some height.

Other than that, I'm open to suggestions. I guess I'll just do what I always do, go shopping and buy whatever jumps up and says "take me home!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home