Saturday, March 10, 2007

Saturday Sky - March 10th edition

It's 72 degrees right now--hard to believe it's just March. This last week has been gorgeous, and it looks like it will continue into next week, with just a few slight dips along the way. I actually had to turn the air conditioning on for a little while when I came home last night--it was over 80 degrees in my apartment.

Today's Saturday Sky features the kids, who took a little field trip outdoors today:


Pretty much everything that I could move went outside, except for the seedlings--they're still too tender to do any traveling.

Look at my 8-Ball Zucchini at 3 weeks old, making friends with the cacti:


I have to figure out someting to do with them--they're almost a foot tall, and we have at least 8 weeks before they can go out and stay out. Yikes!

Tomorrow I'll pot up as many of these as I can:


Several different types of tomatoes, basil, dill, some poppies and zinnias, peppers, cilantro--I have no idea where I'm going to put these so they can get enough sun to continue to grow. What was I thinking?

We do have some flowers at Casa Katya:


This is a pleiospilos nelii, a "split rock" or "living rock." It grows by splitting in half and growing another set of "leaves" while the old ones die. They have beautiful blooms, and I just got lucky and bought this one with 3 buds (I take no credit for this one).

One of my orchids continues to bloom:


This is a phalaenopsis, but I don't know the name--I need to go back to TLC Nursery and see if I can figure out what it is. There are at least 2 other places on this spike that look like they may bud, and another spike is developing as well. Hopefully this will continue to bloom for several months.

And I have these pretty african violets (don't know what these are either):


Sadly, there is nothing fiberly to show you. I hope to complete some spinning this weekend, but playing Mr. Greenjeans lately has put a serious dent into my fiber activities.

Don't forget to set your clocks up an hour tonight . . . .

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At March 11, 2007 10:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Ohhh lots of spring on your walkway! I didn't know those living rocks had flowers. I've always thought they were interesting looking but this adds a whole other dimension.

I think I'm going to have to get another violet. The one I have is happy and healthy but outgrowing it's pot. And I really like having one in the kitchen window. I thought about dividing it, but I've never had much luck doing that, so maybe a new small one and this one can get a bigger home. I hear TLC calling my name LOL

 
At March 12, 2007 11:47 AM, Blogger Missy said...

Pretty pretty pretty! And that living rock plant - too cool!

 
At March 14, 2007 1:47 AM, Blogger kaoticorchid said...

Oh, awesome! Your phal is gorgeous! Very, very nice. You have clearly had better luck than me in buying orchids at a commercial garden store. Quite lovely.

 
At March 18, 2007 7:45 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! It's so great to have lots of plants and such a cool variety of cactus - the split rock is REALLY neat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home