Friday, August 17, 2007

Helpin' da Kittez*

So I've volunteered to work a few hours tomorrow at an antique/collectible sale to benefit the Oklahoma Humane Society--a former work colleague is now employed there, and she has been after me to get involved, so I'm getting involved. Easy enough, right?

Except now I have to explain to Maggie why I won't be home Saturday.

We had a long discussion about this last night:

Me: Maggie, honey, Mommy is going to be gone for a while on Saturday. I'm going to go help the kitties. But I won't be gone long, and we can play when I get home, okay?

Maggie (ears UP): Kitties? Where's the kitties?

Me: No, Spud (it's a nickname--I should explain that later), there aren't any kitties here--well, maybe downstairs, but Mommy's going to help the kitties that don't have a home.

Maggie: We are NOT giving any kitties a home!

Me: No, no, no, I'm going to help raise money so other people can build them a home.

Maggie: NOOOOOO, no monies--I need chewies!

Me: You don't need to worry about chewies, and it won't be my money (hopefully--I get rather weak around antiques).

Maggie (giving me a funny look): I don't know--I don't trust the kitties! They're evil!

Me: MAGGIE!!! (I actually shook my finger at her.) You were homeless once, too, remember? And you love your home, right? Well, don't you think the kitties should have a home of their own, too?

Maggie: NO KITTIES!

At this point, she runs to the window to look for the kitties.

Me: Maggie, I PROMISE you, no kitties here, but we need to help the kitties, okay?

Maggie (resignedly as she looks over her shoulder at me): Okay, but I get more treats for this.

What can I say? I know who's queen of this house--and I think she's channeling Delores.


*Props to I Can Has Cheezburger for the title of this post.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At August 20, 2007 12:40 AM, Blogger kaoticorchid said...

Ah! There you are! It's good to hear that you are helping the kitties, much to Maggies dismay. Whatever happened to the kitties in the last post?

 
At August 22, 2007 10:00 AM, Blogger Missy said...

You are such a good woman to help da kittez!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home