Sunday, December 16, 2007

And the hits just KEEP on comin' . . . .

I had such simple plans for the weekend--stay in, bake some bread, make some soup, maybe knit and spin a little. Nothing big, just stay in, stay warm, and recover from this hellacious week we all seem to be having.

I should have known it was too good to be true.

Late yesterday afternoon, I had the bread machine going, and the vegetable soup was on the stove. I had actually been knitting a bit as well and was hoping to finish up a plain-vanilla shawl that I've been working on for several years. But as I was cutting up veggies with my new mezzaluna, I misjudged where the blade was and cut my right hand.

And cut it I did--about one inch wide and a quarter-inch deep. I grabbed a towel and wrapped it tight and then tried to figure out what to do. I hadn't cleaned off the car, so I couldn't drive myself, so I called Missy (thank you again), and she came down and took me to urgent care. I was afraid I was going to bleed all over the place, but the towel was tight, so there was really minimal blood loss. Three hours and five stitches later, I was at home with antibiotics and pain pills, wondering what the hell was going to happen next.

It seems like every blogger I've read this week has had some type of bad luck (except for kaoticorchid at Orchid's Knit Spot--congratulations again!). It makes me wonder what the Universe has in store for us all next.

Me, I'm fine--my hand's sore, but luckily it's my right hand and I'm left handed, so I'm lucky there. The folks at urgent care were wonderful and did a really good job of fixing me up. I just feel very, very lucky that I didn't cut my finger off. That chopper is dammed sharp, and I should have known better. I've had very bad luck with knives as I get older, but this one tops them all.

And the mezzaluna--I threw it in the trash as soon as I got home. Just thinking about it makes my teeth ache. I'm now asking Santa for a mini-food processor for Christmas--no more knives for me for a while.

Here's hoping for a better week for us all.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At December 16, 2007 11:25 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh.My.Gosh. How scary. I'm really glad it wasn't worse and think the trash can is the right place for that tool. A friend gave me two sharp knives for my birthday. I cut an onion with one of them and whoosh, it was through the onion and onto the floor lickety split. I think I'm not smart enough for sharp. Be careful you!

 
At December 19, 2007 3:21 PM, Blogger Missy said...

You are quite welcome, dear. Anytime.

I hope you haven't already bought that food processor because I am getting you one.

 
At December 23, 2007 9:16 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Hey, it's a week later and I do hope that this weekend was all you were hoping for! Happy Christmas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home