Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Le Tour de Fleece - Day Ten and some observations

Tonight I should finish my pink merino and silk, then it's on to something else. I'm still leaning heavily toward the alpaca, but I guess I'll have to see what strikes my fancy next.

It's funny--I'm at the point where I'm buying fiber for fiber's sake, not with the intent of making anything out of it. Every time I show a nonspinner some of my stash, they always ask, "What are you going to make with it?" Am I becoming one of those spinners who spins just for the sake of spinning and not with any other intent? Maybe--I don't know. All I know right now is I'm loving the colors, the textures, the smells, the feels, everything about fiber. Whatever comes of it will just come. Right now I feel like I'm creating ART.

I'm thinking more about what I need to do to make the fiber spin the way I want. I'm evaluating, rethinking, and trying new things with little fear of doing it wrong. I think this is where I went wrong when I started spinning a year ago. I was so afraid to "ruin" my fiber that it froze me up and made me afraid to try. For some reason I feel much freer this time around, and while I still have those fears of ruining something, I feel confident enough that I can produce some pretty good yarn even at my beginner level.

I also believe that getting together with other spinners, both online and in person, has helped me immensely. They give me confidence, bolster me on, and feed me with fiber (darn them). It's fun to talk and laugh and share, and I am enjoying the experience immensely. I love seeing people take time out of their busy lives to enjoy the things they love best. It's definitely something we don't do often enough.

1 Comments:

At July 12, 2006 10:17 PM, Blogger Susie said...

When I bought my first wheel last September I determined that I wanted to try to spin every variety of wool that I could get my hands on. Had I been a more organized person, I might have kept some sort of elegant journal with type, dates, samples and stuff. Instead, I've just randomly been buying and spinning...and then I give it away or sell it...leaving only the fond recollection of the fiber passing through my fingers.

Duh, eh?

Buy and enjoy. Just don't buy big amounts until you know you'll like it. (Ask me how I know.) (Lincoln.)

Blessings~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home