Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Some day I might learn to control my big mouth.

This morning someone in my office asked me when Mother's Day was.

I said I didn't know.

He replied, "Well, a mother should know these things."

And before I realized it, I had replied, "Well, I'm not a mother and I don't have a mother, so there's really no need for me to know when Mother's Day is."

He didn't appreciate my response.

I really didn't mean anything by it--it just popped out of my mouth before I had time to even think about it. It's just the way I think.

I guess most people just assume that everybody celerates every holiday and everyone has parents and children and big families and that birds sing in their presence and that life is wonderful and that they don't have a care in the world--just like THEM.

However, I don't think this was as bad as when the BAC (that's "born-again christian", or in this case, the MC, "megachurch christian") asked the only Jewish person in the entire office the day after Easter if he enjoyed his holiday--"whatever ritual it is that your people do."

He thought he was being cute. Then he offered to take the guy out for a beer.

Some people just need a good slap upside the head.

And I doubt I'll ever be able to control my mouth.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At April 25, 2007 10:36 PM, Blogger Sus said...

Please don't learn to control your mouth. It's okay to be shocking. Especially when people say stupid things. You go, girl.

 
At April 26, 2007 11:49 PM, Blogger Procrastiknitter said...

((HUGS)) I feel ya!

 
At April 27, 2007 1:43 AM, Blogger kaoticorchid said...

Ouch! It doesn't sound like you will be able to control your mouth in that environment any time soon. I agree with you though, and I wouldn't be able to either. People should watch who they are saying what to about holidays. It aggravates me to no end.

 
At April 27, 2007 11:02 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Hopefully after hearing your reply the person thought to themself "Someday I might learn to control my big mouth." A thoughtless thing to say to someone. Really, how dare he assume that just because you're female that you are also a mother. Reminds me of when I was younger and various times was ACCUSED of being pregnant by acquaintances or even complete strangers just because I was wearing a loose dress (Laura Ashley style wasn't kind to me in that way).

 
At April 27, 2007 11:54 AM, Blogger Missy said...

"Whatever ritual it is that you people do"? WTF??? Oh yes, we must all fit in the same molds as everyone else, musn't we? I say DON'T control your mouth and give them all a good verbal smackdown!

 
At April 28, 2007 6:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I'm with all the others. Verbal smackdowns, unfortunately,are needed. Want to get a fight started. Just remind some of the mega folks that their holidays were by an large a rewriting of a pagan festival. Ummm don't try this with your boss though..just sayin'

 
At May 03, 2007 6:53 PM, Blogger Linda said...

1. I don't see anything wrong with what you said.
2. Your coworker should have just shut up when you said you didn't know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home