Saturday, March 08, 2008

Today's my third blogiversary.

I don't quite have the same enthusiasm about blogging that I did when I started out, but I'm still checking in once in a while, so that counts, right? So happy blogiversary to me.

Unfortunately, it's truly not a very happy one. Tuesday afternoon there was a small jet crash outside of Wiley Post Airport. My company's head pilot was flying the plane--it was not our plane, but he frequently picked up extra flights when he wasn't flying for us. Eyewitness reports say they flew into a flock of birds and then spiraled to the ground. They landed nose first. As you can imagine, there were no survivors.

My coworkers and I are, quite frankly, devastated. Tim was the nicest, sweetest, friendliest guy you could image. He did not have your typical pilot ego, but he had incredible talent--he was meticulous in his responsibility as a pilot. I've never seen so many people at such a loss for words. Even our hard-edged, Boston-born CEO has just fallen apart. He flew with Tim a lot, and they were very close.

I can't say that we got much done at the office for the rest of the week (I know I didn't), but at least we were together. Yesterday afternoon we gathered to look at some photos and share our memories of Tim. It was very, very hard. Many of us had seen him in the office Tuesday morning, and a few short hours later, he was gone.

There is a memorial service this afternoon in Yukon, and my company is providing a reception for the family members after the service. I know we need to get through this to be able to move one, but it won't be easy.

We will miss you, Tim.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At March 14, 2008 12:11 AM, Blogger kaoticorchid said...

Late happy blogiversary, but I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's passing. I work over by Wiley Post and I heard about the plane crash. That's really rough. I hope you're doing ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home