Thursday, March 31, 2005

BookBookBook

As a huge fan of the Yarn Harlot, I was very excited to go to Barnes and Noble last night and find this:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Stephanie has written about how overwhelming it feels to suddenly be a published author. I can tell you, I don't know her except for her blog, but I feel exactly the same way for her. What a wonderful accomplishment--congratulations, Stephanie, we hope you come to Oklahoma City on your bookbookbook tour!

This week has been taken up with a new challenge--a toe-up sock. Although I've completed a few pair of socks, I've never tried it from the toe up. Seeing some of the results of the Six-Sock Knitalong, I thought I'd try it. I have a few skeins of Koigu that have been waiting patiently for me, so that made it an even greater temptation.

I started by looking at knitty.com's article, Tiptop Toes, by Wendy Johnson. Wendy does a great job of explaining several different ways to cast on a toe. I chose the last one, using waste yarn to get started, and I must say it is pretty easy. But, of course, I have other challenges.

I'm using Size 1 needles, and since I tend to knit socks a little tight, it was only a matter of time before I snapped one of my pretty new Brittany birch needles. However, a quick trip to the SWAK website, and I had a new pair the next day. Then I found out that Brittany has a five-year warranty to replace broken needles! Since I'd had these less than five days, I definitely qualified for a replacement. One e-mail later, and a replacement needle will soon be on its way.

In the meantime, I tried knitting with a taped needle--doesn't really work. Every time I got to that needle, I had to move all the stitches to a good needle before I could knit them. This slowed me down considerably. Add not being happy with how the toe started out, plus one try with Size 2 needles, and I have started this one sock at least four times! This is a good way, however, to learn the new cast on--I think I could do it now in my sleep!

I think this one is a keeper (finally!). I'm trying to knit a little looser, and so far so good:


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There's a little dimple on the right side, but I can handle that. It looks a litle pointy, but I'm going to keep on and see what happens. I mean, what else could happen except I frog it a fifth time!

As for the Koigu, of course I love it. This colorway reminds me of summer roses. (Yes, for those of you smart enough to keep track, this is how far I've gotten after four days' knitting--I'm slow, get over it.)

This weekend--spinning!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home