Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Okay, I'm a little calmer now . . . .

I've had some time to catch my breath, and I'm all better now. But I have to tell you about last night.

Stephanie's fans are definitely dedicated, because they started lining up for tickets to get into the room around 430 pm. At least we had air conditioning! We came prepared, and once the room opened up and tickets were distributed, everyone found a seat and pulled out their knitting (I saw some great-looking socks). We were all really excited, and the time just flew by. Next thing we knew, the room was almost full and it was time to start. A lady from the library and the Knitting Guild (whose name I missed, sorry), was giving the introduction when Missy poked me in the side and hissed, "There she is!" I looked off to my right, and there she was:


About that time everybody noticed her and started giggling, and Stephanie just laughed back. The nice lady finished the introduction, Stephanie stepped up to the podium, and off we went.

I'm honestly not sure I've ever laughed so hard in my life.

Have you ever though about how you can watch somebody on TV, in a movie, or at a club, and while they're really funny, it's the people you know--your friends, your family, your coworkers--who can make you laugh harder than anyone else? I think it has something to do with familiarity and feeling comfortable with that person. Well, that's what this was like. It was like watching one of your best girlfriends get up and absolutely KILL. She had the room in the palm of her hand.

Stephanie, if the writing thing doesn't work out, you need to start doing standup. You ROCK.

The one thing I thought was funny (strange, not ha ha) was that I also felt proud to see someone just like me be so successful and beloved by so many people. Again, it felt like I was watching one of my friends instead of some strange writer person from another country.

We were able to ask some questions when she finished. I, of course, had to ask about the Latvian mitten incident, because 1) I'm impressed that anyone could knit Latvian mittens, and 2) as bad as I felt for her when that happened, I still laughed my head off. And yeah, she was definitely upset when she realized what she'd done. Who hasn't had a humbling experience like that?

She also had her Olympic sweater with her--wow, was it gorgeous. I can't believe she knit that in 16 days. It was absolutely amazing. She explained about steeking and how the sleeves for this sweater were constructed and sewn into the body. It was really impressive.

Once we were finished at the Library, we all went scooting down the street to Gourmet Yarn for the booksigning. We didn't have to wait in line long, even though Stephanie was taking the time to talk to everyone and take photos and all, and finally it was our turn. Somehow Missy ended up behind me, and there I was--face to face with the Grand Dame herself. I was so happy that I didn't have to spell my name for her (it's the capital of Saskatchewan, BTW), so that was easy. Then I had to give her the little gift I had put together. I was all tongue-tied and told her to just take it home and open it then.

Nope, she opened it right away.

I had made some Oklahoma stitch markers. They were just some blue and silver beads with charms--a cowboy hat, saddle, sunflower, windmill, an eagle feather, Kachina doll, a sheath of wheat, and a ball of yarn and needles symbolizing Oklahoma knitters. I thought it would be nice and kinda unique.

She loved them--how cool is that?


After taking some pictures, we stumbled back to Missy's house and absolutely collapsed.

We had the BEST time.

Thanks to everyone who put this event together--you guys did a great job. And Stephanie, really, I know people at the local Chamber of Commerce--I could hook you up for a job if you'd like to experience a little less snow in your lifetime.

7 Comments:

At July 26, 2006 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It WAS a great night, wasn't it! I'd love to see a pic of your stitch markers. They sound really cool.

 
At July 26, 2006 11:03 PM, Blogger Miss Knotty said...

It's so cool that you got to meet the Harlot!. It's even more so cool that you have the name Regina. Because I too have that name. Woot! An Oklahoma Regina who's a knitter, a Texas Regina who's a knitter - do you suppose there's a Regina who's a knitter in every state? I hope so!

I'm living vicariously through your experience, as I'm not going to be able to make it to the Harlot's Texas appearance - I was so rooting for a Dallas appearance - I would have taken off work for that!!!! But I just can't make it to Austin. Boo!

Anyway, Thanks for sharing your fun, my name sister from above the Red River!

Have a great rest-of-your-week -- you'll likely be living off the high of it for some time to come. :)

Ms. Knotty/Regina

 
At July 27, 2006 7:09 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Ohhhh like Mellanie asked, do you sell your stitch markers. They'd be perfect for me and for my Color Swap secret pal. Wasn't it a truly magical night?

 
At July 27, 2006 10:18 PM, Blogger Missy said...

Dude, seriously, post a picture of your stitch markers. They were awesome.

 
At July 28, 2006 9:12 AM, Blogger Sanders said...

I must have been just a couple people behind you in the line because the first thing I actually saw when I got up to the signing table was Stephanie admiring the stitchmarkers.

It was such a fun night. Seeing the Harlot and meeting all the other knitters whose blogs I read.... and finding more knit bloggers in OK.

Oh, I almost forgot, you asked about the color of my trekking sock. The ball band says 34. I bought it a few years ago so I'm not sure if it's still around but I love the randomish way it stripes and love the yarn itself so I definitely reccommend it@

Happy knitting

 
At July 28, 2006 4:17 PM, Blogger Procrastiknitter said...

I bet those Stitch Markers are fab! I'd love to make some since I live in Oklahoma and could give them as a gift to a perfect friend. BTW, I added you to my link list!

 
At July 28, 2006 8:04 PM, Blogger Missy said...

Must. Post. Picture. Of. Stitch. Markers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home