Saturday, October 21, 2006

A very special wish

Most of us are lucky to have people in our lives who care about us, family and friends that we can enjoy during the good times and lean on during the bad. I'm an only child, and most of my family and several of my close friends are gone, so these relationships are very important to me. But I have one friend who I truly think of as "my sister."

I met Missy a little over four years ago when I started my last job. She had just come back from maternity leave, having had her first child, the one we lovingly call the "Crackhead." :<) I quickly learned that she was sharp as a tack, truly appreciative of a good joke, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and strong as iron. It wasn't long before we had become good friends. She was always willing to answer my questions and listen to me gritch and scream about anything and everything.

At some point after that, I don't remember when, she asked me to teach her to knit. Now, I'm not really a knitter (I just play one on the internets), and I was a little hesitant. But we gave it a shot, and she persisted until she figured it out.

And those two needles and that yarn have bound us together ever since.

Missy's the friend I wish I'd had as a kid. It's so easy to talk with her about anything and everything, and we enjoy so many of the same things that we always have a good time together. She's the one who prodded and nagged me to start a blog. She and her husband have welcomed me into their home and allowed me to experience the joy (and frustrations) of raising two wonderful children. You may remember that I was at the hospital when baby Kelsey was born in April, and it was one of the best nights of my life. And even though we call Braden "Crackhead," I love it when he calls me his "aunt."

I left that job almost a year ago, but we are still very much in each others' lives, almost as if we were still sitting ten feet from each other five days a week.

She is my fiber sister and totally understands and looks the other way when I spend way too much at the LYS. She's the one I call to gripe at when something goes wrong, the one I talk to about movies and politics, food, who's cute, who's mean, who's funny, and who sucks. She understands that it's "normal" (at least in my world) to obsess over a knitting pattern, stay up way too late watching movies, or want to spend the day going on a "wine crawl" to every liquor store in town when she's 8-1/2 months pregnant (her, not me--just making that perfectly clear).

She's practical and crazy, protective, supporting, and loving, and absolutely, TOTALLY wonderful, and I'm so grateful that she's chosen me as her friend.

So please go over to Blue Candy today and wish Missy a happy birthday.

And Missy, thank you for being the sister I always wanted and finally got.

Love, me

FreeDigitalPhotos.net

1 Comments:

At October 23, 2006 1:45 PM, Blogger Missy said...

OMG - I'm so verklempt!!! Thank you so much! Please know that the feeling is very much mutual and I'm proud to call you my sister as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home