Tuesday, April 12, 2005

I guess I know who's boss now . . . .

The best part of my day is always coming home. Yes, I'm very glad to be home where I can shut the door and tune out the world for the rest of the night--but the highlight, the thing that tops it all, is walking in the door and having Maggie realize "MOM'S HOME!!!" This always results in the most joyful reunion--you would think I had been gone for years, not just several hours. There is running and jumping and chasing of bones and enthusiastic chewing and much general rejoicing. There is truly nothing better in my world.

The usual home-from-work routine is this: I walk in the door, Maggie runs down the hall from the bedroom where she has been "working on her tan" in the bedroom window, and the party begins. After five or six big leaps into the air (and believe me, Boston terriers can jump 5 feet high--they've got a LOT of energy), usually meaning I end up either knocked into the couch or begging for mercy, she runs over, scoops up the nearest bone, and flies into the bedroom and up on the bed, plops down, and begins chewing that bone like her life depended on it. I follow her back, see what's she's doing, give her a big hug, and then say, "Let's go outside!" Then it's off the bed, race down the hall, and make a general fuss until I make it back to the door. Lately Maggie's had a bit more of a bone fixation than normal. She wants to carry one around in her mouth most of the time. She's even carried it downstairs to go pee (only once, but it was so cute!).

Today when I walked in the door, everything was the same--jump up, grab the bone, run into the bedroom, etc. I followed her back to the bedroom and said, "let's go outside." She runs into the living room, grabs the nearest Meaty Bone left from her "Mom's going to work treats" at 6:45 this morning, takes it to the door, and promptly sits down--and eats it!!! Nothing, not picking up her leash, rattling my keys, asking if she wanted to go out--nothing would stop her from finishing that bone! When she was done, she looked up as if to say, "well, what are you waiting for?" and off we went. I guess she put me in my place . . . goofy dog!!

Sunday we had one of the first, if not the first, "weather events" in the city this season. This means sighted tornados or rotations which could develop into tornados. This also means that every TV station in town dumps their regular programming to see who can "spot the tornado first." It's quite the competition--almost like sport. Don't get me wrong, they do a great, great job, but these stations spend millions of dollars every year trying to one-up each other to get the biggest ratings. Weather is big bucks in Oklahoma. Unfortunately, most of the people in OKC were not very happy Sunday night when the sirens went off and there were no tornado warnings for most of the area. To top that off, the TV stations didn't seem to know that it's apparently standard procedure for the sirens to be sounded if there's a warning anywhere in the county. Seeing as how OKC is over 600 square miles in size, that does seem a little weird. There's been a big fuss about it, and it will be interesting to see how it will be resolved.

Anyway, I did go out and take some pictures, because there were some really pretty clouds in my area (just clouds and wind--it didn't rain a drop). This one was the best:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We were on the north side of the storm. It was centered around Norman, well away from us, but it did make for some pretty skies toward the end of the day.

I am still knitting on Koigu Sock #1, but I'm on the downhill stretch. I hope to have pictures to post later this week.


Post a Comment

<< Home